Wednesday, February 25, 2015

And then...





After telling a waiter this morning that waiters are the ones that destroy people's businesses because of shoddy service, shortly thereafter, I ended up nicely tucking my tail in between my legs with humility. 

I had been dropped off at Sam Levy to do this, that and the other. As the driver was still far running errands, I decided to go to The Deli at Sam Levy. There were no free seats. I did not want to wait so I walked across to Millers Cafe by the front of Food Lovers' Market. It was almost empty with one or two people trickling in and out.

I settled in reluctantly and started replying emails. I was given the menu, decided on what I wanted and continued with my online activities. 

Forty minutes later, the driver called and told me he was going to be another thirty to forty minutes late. That is when I realised I had not been served. There was noise in the restaurant of staff chit chatting. I waved to one of the waiters and irritated, told him to go next door and see how the competition, The Deli was doing. I went on and on about how standards had gone down, how they were destroying the business at a time when many would-be patrons just cannot afford going out anymore. I was in my element and on and on I blurted out a whole lecture on customer service as if I was a stuck record.

Satisfied the message had been heard, some five minutes later, I ordered. The coffee arrived first in five minutes and the rest in fifteen minutes. By the time the main arrived, I was full from the coffee, so I nibbled on the ribs and asked the rest to be packed away for my dogs. I proceeded to ask for the bill.

Another twenty minutes later, the driver called to advise me that he was outside. I stood up, went to the front counter and quietly requested my bill, exercising restraint, with difficulty and literally biting my tongue so that I do not speak another word. The bill was presented. 

Then the frantic searching for my purse began. First I thought it was too dark in my big black bag so I put on my glasses. Then, everything in the bag came out, followed by shaking of the bag vigorously.

The purse was nowhere to be found. I called the helper at home who advised me that I had left it on my desk in the study where I was working before I left.

I asked the cashier how much? He advised $11. I told him to ask someone to follow me to the car where the driver saved the day. 

At the counter, I had wanted to say this last word, "Sorry, no tip, the service was shoddy." The missing purse, saved them from hearing that. How do you refuse to pay a tip of less than $2 when you are "claiming" that you have left the purse at home!!!

These are hard times, I could very well have been lying. Others do.

Moral of the story : Before giving unsolicited talks on customer service in a restaurant, please make sure your purse is in the bag :) :( :) :(

No comments:

Post a Comment